23 January 2012 - 7.50AM
The salvage observation flight this morning confirmed no significant change to the two sections of Rena.
- The weather is good, with 20 knot south-westerly winds and a 1 metre swell.
- The crane barge Smit Borneo was about 100 metres off Rena, and starting to move into position alongside the wreck.
- No containers were removed from the bow yesterday, but the intention is for container removal to resume today.
- Oil spill response teams will be undertaking clean-up activities at Mount Maunganui and Leisure Island today.
- Shoreline clean-up assessment teams will be working at Kauri Point today.
- Members of the public are encouraged to report any sightings of oil to 0800 OIL SPILL (0800 645 774).
For further information contact:
Maritime New Zealand Media Line
Phone 04 499 7318
Back to media releases